Are you aware that your digestive health is a key contributor to your overall well-being? More than half of your immune system comes from your gut. Most of the time, we do not stop to think about its benefits until something goes wrong. Digestive & Liver Disease Center of San Antonio PLLC specializes in providing extensive digestive health, including diagnosis and treatments. The San Antonio hemorrhoids specialist Dr. Narvaez offers customized treatments to ease the discomfort and better your life. If hemorrhoids make your life miserable, consult Dr. Narvaez today to achieve healing and good health.
Here is what to note about hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoid is a regular condition affecting about 15 million adults in America. Hemorrhoid is a disease that occurs as irritated and swollen veins in the rectum and anal canal. They cause painful symptoms disrupting your normal life.
The problem may occur due to:
- Chronic constipation
- Straining during your bowel movements
- Extended periods sitting on the toilet
- Anal intercourse
- Consuming low amounts of fiber
- Frequent heavy lifting
Types of hemorrhoids
These appear as swollen veins in the skin around your anus. You may feel the veins as little bumps or flaps of skin. its symptoms include:
- Itching around your anus
In some cases, you may experience pain while sitting or walking and even feel uncomfortable wearing some underwear.
Internal hemorrhoids form inside your rectum. Unlike external hemorrhoids, you may experience bleeding during your bowel movements.
This type of hemorrhoid is painless but may cause soreness, itchiness, and you may also feel tissue protrusion during defecation. They swell in such a way you may notice them protruding from the anal cavity. When they increase in size, they may cause problems with bowel movements.
Hemorrhoids diagnosis and treatment
During your consultation, your provider examines your hemorrhoids by checking out your anal opening and rectum. Your doctor may also carry out a rectal exam and perform an anoscopy. Colonoscopy may also be an option if you have other digestive issues.
The treatments for hemorrhoids include:
Dr. Narvaez usually recommends at-home treatments before proceeding to other diverse solutions. They may include:
- Soaking in warm baths or sitz bath, for 10 to 15 minutes, three times a day
- Eating food high in fiber, including vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
- Over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or aspirin
- Topical treatments such as creams, ointments, pads, or suppositories containing witch hazel and hydrocortisone
If the symptoms persist, Dr. Narvaez may suggest a non-invasive treatment such as:
- Rubber band ligation involves placing a tiny band at the base of your internal hemorrhoid to stop circulation. After some time, the hemorrhoids fall off.
- Laser /infrared treatment
For severe cases, surgical removal of hemorrhoids may be necessary.
- Drinking a lot of fluids
- Avoiding straining or holding breath during bowel movements
- High fiber diets
- Avoid sitting for too long, especially on the toilet
Hemorrhoids are highly treatable, and you should be able to resume your normal life after the treatment. If hemorrhoids are affecting your life, consider consulting Dr. Narvaez. Call or book online to schedule your consultation.