Participation in your favorite sports subject the body to vigorous activities that improve your physical and mental well-being. Athletic events are responsible for strains, sprains, torn tissues, and career-threatening fractures. J. Michael Bennett, MD, PA, is a Houston sports medicine specialist using surgical and non-surgical options to deliver the best care for all.
Table of Contents
Common Sports Injuries Treated by Dr. Bennnett
Sports are ideal for keeping your body and mind in perfect shape. Unfortunately, collision with fellow players, equipment, sudden movements, and strain on joints results in injuries and torn tissues. Dr. Bennett treats a wide range of sports injuries, including:
- Rotator cuff tears in the shoulder
- ACL tears in the knee
- Patellar dislocation
- Hamstring strains
- Ankle sprains
- Tennis elbow
Diagnosis of Sports Injuries by Dr. Bennett
Dr. Bennett uses a conclusive physical examination of regions affected by sports injuries. He checks the origin of pain and other symptoms, limits your range of motion and the severity of your pain. If the need arises, imaging tests (MRIs or X-rays) could be used to determine your injury and extent of the damage. Based on the conclusive tests and diagnoses, Dr. Bennett drafts a highly customized treatment plan targeting your injury.
Treatment of Sports Injuries by Dr. Bennett
Dr. Bennett’s initial treatment involves non-surgical treatment options to relieve sports injuries. Some of the main treatment options used by Dr. Bennett include:
- Relieving you of swelling through the application of ice to affected areas
- Wearing a brace for support and stability if the need arises
- Taking over the counter medication for pain relief
- Avoiding activities that make your symptoms and pain worse
- Increasing flexibility and building stronger muscles through physical therapy
Surgical Options for Sports Injuries Offered by Dr. Bennett
Dr. Bennett prefers minimally invasive surgical options like shoulder arthroscopy for sports injuries. Less invasive procedures require smaller incisions that lower the risk of nerve damage, infections, and other complications that could hinder your quick recovery.
Dr. Bennett recommends an open procedure involving one or more incisions like the total knee replacement surgery for severe complications. You should expect longer surgical procedures and duration to recover the shoulder, knee, elbow, and other sports injuries.
Why Should I Choose Dr. Bennett?
- To benefit from long years of experience in treating elbow, shoulder, hand, and knee injuries.
- Dr. Bennett uses conclusive tests and diagnoses to determine your eligibility for surgical and non-surgical treatment for sports injuries.
- You are actively involved in every stage of your treatment.
- He develops a highly customized treatment plan accounting for all your symptoms.
Other Services Offered by Dr. Bennett
Dr. Bennett is a sports medicine expert and orthopedic surgeon that specializes in:
- Tennis elbow
- Elbow injuries
- Knee injuries
- Orthopedic surgery
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Torn ACL
- Tenex Health TX™ procedure
- MLS laser
- Shoulder replacement
- Robotics assisted knee replacement
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy
Do not let sports injuries hinder your participation in amateur and professional games. Dr. Bennett assures you of relief through surgical and non-surgical options. You can contact J. Michael Bennett, MD, PA, by using the online system or calling the office to book an appointment.