Erectile dysfunction (ED) occurs when you cannot keep an erection adequate for your sexual experience. In the recent past, experts used to associate erectile dysfunction with age and psychological issues. Though you are likely to experience the condition as you age, aging is not a contributing factor to the dysfunction. The good news is, your doctor can help you get your erections back, regardless of age. Your New York erectile dysfunction specialist, Dr. Michael Rotman, understands that erectile dysfunction has the potential of hurting your self-confidence and your intimate relationships. Thanks to available treatment options at the facility, the professional will restore blood flow to your penis so you can have an exciting and fulfilling sex life.
What causes you to have erectile dysfunction?
There are various erectile dysfunction causes, most of which link to your nerves, hormones, emotion, the brain, and blood flow. A man’s sexual arousal is complex and could worsen with mental health concerns and stress. The dysfunction causes include:
Physical causes. In most cases, ED results from something physical. Fortunately, your doctor’s proper diagnosis could help resolve the underlying condition that is making it difficult for you to experience sexual fulfillment. Standard physical causes of erectile dysfunction include:
- Narrowing or blocked blood vessels
- Hormonal disorders
- Radiation therapy
- Surgical complications
- Spinal cord and pelvic area injuries
- Anatomical or structural penis disorder
- Chronic kidney disease
Psychological and emotional issues. Several psychological and emotional worries are likely to worsen erectile dysfunction. You will develop the condition if you experience any or a combination of:
- Low self-esteem
- Sexual performance guilt
- Sexual failure
- Fear of intimacy
Prescription medications. Numerous prescription drugs are likely to interfere with your sexual satisfaction. However, it is critical to contact your doctor before you change or quit taking your medication. They could be:
- Heart medications
- Opioid painkillers
- Prostate treatment medications
- Medication acting on your central nervous system
What are your treatment options for erectile dysfunction?
Before treatment, your doctor will evaluate your condition to check out for your ED’s root cause. He will request tests to check if your penis could be having a malfunction. Suppose the reason is a medical condition. Your doctor could prescribe treatment to minimize its effects. The specialist might request various blood tests to check out if the condition is hormonal.
The excellent news is, there are several treatments for erectile dysfunction. They include:
- Drug treatment. Your doctor will likely recommend phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE 5) inhibitors to boost your erection, the most common being sildenafil (Viagra). Experts advise that you only take PDE-5 inhibitors with your doctor’s prescription.
- Vacuum devices. If you find it impossible to take medication treatments or they have failed to work for you, your doctor will suggest an erection device to help you produce an erection mechanically. The rigidity of your penis is enhanced by a vacuum pump surrounding it.
- Surgical procedures. As the last resort, your doctor will recommend surgical procedures like penile implants and vascular surgery if all the other options fail to work. Though downtime varies in different people, the procedures record high success rates.
Most men occasionally have issues with sustaining an erection. However, you should seek professional help when the dysfunction limits your sexual performance or you have difficulties maintaining an erection. Contact the experts and talk to your doctor directly about your problem and discuss your best treatment option.