An echocardiogram is a technique that uses computer technology to evaluate and generate your heart rate in the form of an analog wave. Your doctor attaches some specific devices to your chest, and then a hand-held wand is passed around your heart. High-frequency sound waves produced by the hand-held device-generate picture of your heart rate in graph form. However, an echocardiogram is combined with color Doppler and Doppler ultrasound to evaluate the flow of your blood in the heart. Since it is essential to know the wellness of your heart, an echocardiogram in Upper East Side is the best health care center you can consult.
Let’s read more about the echocardiogram test.
What does an echocardiogram test in your heart?
The primary purpose of an echocardiogram test is to check heart disorders and their functionality. Your heart is supposed to work in good condition because it holds ninety-five percent of your life. The main work of an echocardiogram is:
- To check the presence and types of heart diseases such as congenital heart diseases, cardiac masses, myocardial diseases, and pericardial disorders.
- To check how valves are working.
- To evaluate the heart condition after surgery or heart disease treatment.
- To check the rate of your heartbeat.
According to cardiologists, going for heart check-ups helps to keep your body free from heart problems. When you get heart disease like a heart attack, your chances of living are very low. Moreover, knowing the performance of your heart keeps your blood flow at the required pressure, thus no causes of low or high blood pressure. Below are examples of echocardiograms you can undergo.
Types of echocardiogram tests
There are several types of echocardiograms that you can undergo to make sure that your heart is functioning correctly. The type of echocardiogram test to undergo depends on the information from your doctor after an examination. They include:
- Transthoracic echocardiogram. During this test, your doctor will apply a gel to a transducer device. The device generates ultrasound waves that pass through the skin to your heart. The transducer picks up sound echoes from the heart displaying them on the computer monitor as analog waves.
- Doppler echocardiogram. Doppler signals are used to show the direction of your blood flow in your heart and vessels. However, Doppler signals can also be used to check blood pressure in the arteries, which other types of echocardiograms cannot test.
- Transesophageal echocardiogram. The transesophageal echocardiogram test is more improved since it produces a detailed picture of your heart. During the test, your throat will be numbed using medication for you to relax. A transducer device is placed in your throat to capture sound waves produced by the heart. The heartbeats are translated to graphic signals by a computer.
Echocardiogram tests have helped many people across the world to keep their hearts in good condition. Taking a step to know the wellness of your heart, vessels and arteries is the best thing you can do. Consult Upper East Side Cardiology and live a life free from heart diseases.