AUD (Alcohol Use Disorder) or Alcoholism is a term used for alcohol addicts who drink beyond limit and hamper their physical and mental health. The problem persists due to various reasons. Apart from this, the addict faces lots of social problems, faces withdrawal when trying to stop and tolerance increases with usage. His internal organs like liver, heart, pancreas suffers badly and immunity weakens. Excessive alcohol intake not only retards mental health but raises issues like Wernicke Korsakoff Syndrome, increased risk of cancer, liver failure and irregularity in heart beat. Pregnant ladies when drink alcohol face fatal alcohol spectrum disorders.
The alcohol treatment program consists of following steps of treatment-
Intervention: This is the first type of alcoholism treatment where addict himself realizes and acknowledges his problem. In some cases, family members and employer also recognize the problem and consumption is prohibited for those people who have become the addicts.
- There are two categories in this. In the first condition the person is not dependant on alcohol but is a problem drinker. He drinks in moderation and can successfully deal with his drinking issues. If he does not drink in control, he should try to stay away from it as alcohol addiction affects his family, education, health and raises many other similar issues.
- Treatment through counseling for the addict and the family member is very much necessary in this case.
Detoxification: Detoxification is the alcohol treatment program that gets completed in 4-7 days. However the number of packs he drinks in a day decides the likelihood of alcohol withdrawal symptoms after drinking is stopped.
- The withdrawal symptoms include annoying and uncomfortable situations and sometimes life threatening conditions. The alcohol withdrawal symptoms start reflecting from 12 hours to 2-3 days of last alcohol consumption.
- The addict may be asked for medical supervision in a supervised environment. However withdrawal can be done by supporting the patient with medicines so that withdrawal symptoms can be relieved. . In some cases, withdrawal symptoms may include blood clotting, liver issues, symptoms of convulsion, fever or delirium tremens.
Rehabilitation: In order to maintain alcohol abstinence, support for the problem drinker is provided after detoxification alcoholism treatment phase is accomplished. The recovery support program comprises of counseling, nursing and medical care. Furthermore making the addict aware about the symptoms of alcoholism on various body parts is also included in the program
- Such rehabilitation programs are open to inpatients and outpatients. To prevent relapses, medications are also suggested.
- Naltrexone is a drug that prevents alcohol craving.
- Antabuse produces unpleasant side effects after alcohol is consumed within 2 weeks of drug consumption. Counseling or the support of the group is required for long term success to the alcohol addict while assisting him in maintaining sobriety.
Alcoholism if untreated or uncontrolled can lead to life threatening conditions. Hence to regain control of their good health, all the three steps are mandatory to initiate the process of intervention, detoxification and rehabilitation. The alcohol addicts and their families should find nearest alcohol treatment centers so that the addict can be treated with care and on time. Recovery from alcohol is a must priority and for that caring and professional alcohol treatment is a must.